Hello!
I think I will be leaving somewhere around the 14th from here to
Ecuador, so we are good. Sadly, though, I found out I cannot call you
at the airport. I have to wait until Christmas. Good thing it will
only be two weeks later.
Well everything here is really great...as always! Last week the
tour was so much fun and it was great to see a new side to Peru. In
all our areas I´ve only seen the very poor parts and I didn´t know
there was a tourist part of Peru. But we went on a bus tour and
Hermana Slingerland (the Doctor's wife who will train me some more
before I leave to the field) is so knowledgeable about Peru so she was
our guide. We drove around and saw ruins that looked like Book of
Mormon ruins that dated before Christ´s time. We also saw the beach
and a Marriott! Mom and dad, come on over! And then we got out in the
center of the city and went shopping, mostly, we just went straight
for Pizza Hut and then when we went to go get souveneirs, we were
distracted by Dunkin Donuts and did what we needed to keep ourselves
going. We were happy as clams. Then we enjoyed the streets that
reminded me of Europe! Loved it! We were all so happy on the bus,
eating our spoils and talking about all the places we want to travel.
It was wonderful. That night we had to get up at 1:30 am to greet the
new arriving americans and that was fun to do in our PJ´s.
Then Thursday was Thanksgiving!!! That night, Hermana Whetten (mission president's wife) had
the kitchen staff make the most delicious Thanksgiving feast and we
actually had turkey, mashed patatoes and pumpkin pie! Don´t worry, I
had 2 pieces of that and one of chocolate cake. We were all so
excited. We all ate together as Americans because our Companions
hadn´t all arrived yet. I dont think the Latinos all really liked the
meal but we were in HEAVEN!!! We were all talking about how good it
was and what a great memory it was for all of us.
Everything else has been great. We were bumped up to the advanced
missionaries now and I can´t wait to get to Ecuador. I am getting so
ancy!! My new companion is wonderful. Her name is Hermana Carazas and
she is from Peru. She is already like a great friend. We like a lot of
the same music and like to do the same things. I really like her. She
pointed out that my favorite Spanish word is "interesante" and she
always throws in "obviously" in random parts of our spanish
conversation. It´s funny. But today was special. I got to be her
escort at the temple and it reminded me of how special it really is. I
am so grateful for it. Her dad died when she was 14 during an accident
in Machu Pichu and was baptized after. Later they were all sealed so
today was a special day for her. She was the last in her family to get
to enter the temple.
I sure love it here. I am always reminded how wonderful the gospel
is and I honeslty can´t get enough of it. I love digging into my
scriptures and I come to love the savior more as I read them. I am so
excited about them and I come to know how real this gospel is as I
study it. People really can find out if it´s true just by praying with
a sincere heart and real intent. I feel like there was never a better
time than now to be on a mission. The Lord certainly knows me so well
and I am humbled by the thought of it. I love you all and I hope you
enjoy the pictures! Happy December 1st!!!
I think I will be leaving somewhere around the 14th from here to
Ecuador, so we are good. Sadly, though, I found out I cannot call you
at the airport. I have to wait until Christmas. Good thing it will
only be two weeks later.
Well everything here is really great...as always! Last week the
tour was so much fun and it was great to see a new side to Peru. In
all our areas I´ve only seen the very poor parts and I didn´t know
there was a tourist part of Peru. But we went on a bus tour and
Hermana Slingerland (the Doctor's wife who will train me some more
before I leave to the field) is so knowledgeable about Peru so she was
our guide. We drove around and saw ruins that looked like Book of
Mormon ruins that dated before Christ´s time. We also saw the beach
and a Marriott! Mom and dad, come on over! And then we got out in the
center of the city and went shopping, mostly, we just went straight
for Pizza Hut and then when we went to go get souveneirs, we were
distracted by Dunkin Donuts and did what we needed to keep ourselves
going. We were happy as clams. Then we enjoyed the streets that
reminded me of Europe! Loved it! We were all so happy on the bus,
eating our spoils and talking about all the places we want to travel.
It was wonderful. That night we had to get up at 1:30 am to greet the
new arriving americans and that was fun to do in our PJ´s.
Then Thursday was Thanksgiving!!! That night, Hermana Whetten (mission president's wife) had
the kitchen staff make the most delicious Thanksgiving feast and we
actually had turkey, mashed patatoes and pumpkin pie! Don´t worry, I
had 2 pieces of that and one of chocolate cake. We were all so
excited. We all ate together as Americans because our Companions
hadn´t all arrived yet. I dont think the Latinos all really liked the
meal but we were in HEAVEN!!! We were all talking about how good it
was and what a great memory it was for all of us.
Everything else has been great. We were bumped up to the advanced
missionaries now and I can´t wait to get to Ecuador. I am getting so
ancy!! My new companion is wonderful. Her name is Hermana Carazas and
she is from Peru. She is already like a great friend. We like a lot of
the same music and like to do the same things. I really like her. She
pointed out that my favorite Spanish word is "interesante" and she
always throws in "obviously" in random parts of our spanish
conversation. It´s funny. But today was special. I got to be her
escort at the temple and it reminded me of how special it really is. I
am so grateful for it. Her dad died when she was 14 during an accident
in Machu Pichu and was baptized after. Later they were all sealed so
today was a special day for her. She was the last in her family to get
to enter the temple.
I sure love it here. I am always reminded how wonderful the gospel
is and I honeslty can´t get enough of it. I love digging into my
scriptures and I come to love the savior more as I read them. I am so
excited about them and I come to know how real this gospel is as I
study it. People really can find out if it´s true just by praying with
a sincere heart and real intent. I feel like there was never a better
time than now to be on a mission. The Lord certainly knows me so well
and I am humbled by the thought of it. I love you all and I hope you
enjoy the pictures! Happy December 1st!!!
Con amor,
Hermana Salmon
No comments:
Post a Comment