Monday, February 21, 2011

February 21, 2011: Mama Americana

Hola Familia!
This week has been great! The rain has finally let up a bit and the weather has been absolutely beautiful! I feel so happy everyday, walking and enjoying the weather. It feels like Arizona in the spring so I feel quite at home. And the reason for my title of the email, "Mama Americana" is becuase there is this song we hear all the time on the radio called, "Papa Americano". The other day one of our Mamitas had it playing when we arrived for lunch and we joked that I am "Mama Americana". Is that song playing in the states? Well this week has been full of ups and downs. It's been a little hard because all of our baptisms have fallen through and everyone says that they love to have us come and teach them and learn more, but they don't want to change. I have to respect that, but it makes me so sad because I want them to feel the joy that I feel in the gospel and the blessings that come from it. One sweet lady named Delia always makes us tamales and empanadas (my favorite thing here!) and she lives right by us. She has this friend who always tells her terrible things about God and how He only wants to save a few of us, that there are only so many spots reserved in heaven. And then she told us the other day that she feels so different when we are talking to her, but that she just can't change. It is sad. But the wonderful thing is that we taught bastante lecciones (lots of lessons!) this week and found many more new people to teach that are wonderful! I don't always understand the reasons for things when we pray and fast and do all we can and then things don't turn out the way we want, but my companion and I were talking that we have seen so many other blessings this week in the work. We were thinking that the Lord maybe wants us to remember this is HIs work and not ours and that we just need to focus on loving people despite the outcome. Jake told me this a while ago and I am finally beginning to understand. Thanks Jake!
I wanted to share a part of another conference talk that has meant so much to me that kinda relates to my week. It's the talk called "Rest unto Your Souls" by Elder Per G. Malm. He shares the scripture in Matt 11: 28-29 that says, " Come unto me all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn of me for I am meek and lowly of heart and ye shall find rest unto your souls." Then he quotes Pres. Joseph F. Smith saying, " To my mind it means entering into the knowledge and love of God, having faith in his purpose and his plan, to such an extent that we know we are right, and that we are not hunting for something else, we are not disturbed by every wind of doctrine, or by the ccunning craftiness of men who lie in wait to decieve. We know of the doctrine that is of God and we do not ask any question of anybody about it; they are welcome to their opinions and to their ideas. The man who has reached that degree of faith in God that all doubt and fear have been cast from him, he has entered into God's rest." I love that so much. I love that it says that when we are in the rest of God, we are not hunting for anything else, and we have faith in his plan so much so that we don't doubt or fear. I love that so much and that is how we can feel more peace in this life. It's true.
A few other things... Sadly, I think I will be leaving Loja in two weeks (the next change) for the office in Guayaquil to start my duties as the nurse. I am not for sure, but I have a hunch. I am excited, but sad to leave these people we've been working so hard with and I have sure grown to love each of them. But the good news is (for some!) is that it is HOT as can be there. Thanks for the offer in sending me more clothes mom, but I think I will be wishing I had a swimsuit in two weeks!
So the last feew weeks I have had about 10 water balloons thrown at me and it's not even Carnival! Ha, it's actually quite hilarious. Good thing that only 2 of them were direct hits and only water inside (thank goodness!). I think they all have an eye out for Mama Americana because I am quite the target! I am not gonna lie, I'm a little nervous for Carnival next month!
I gave my first talk in church yesterday and I think the members should all get a big gold star for not laughing or leaving! I bet my spanish was quite funny, but I got through it and I hope I don't have to give one for a while! But it was a good experience.
Also our house smells so bad! Last night my companion and I had to move our mattresses into the main part of the house becuse our room smells like dirty diapers...seriously! So we went and got our neighbor today and and she told us our house smells so bad because our neighbor has lots of dead rats in her backyard. EW! She said the smell should go away in about 8 days. Ha, good times.
I love you all and I pray for you always. I know this church is true!
always,
Hermanita Salmon

No comments:

Post a Comment